Nursing Home Neglect And Abuse
The decision to have a loved one move to a nursing home or other care facility is not an easy one to make. Even when an aging or disabled relative could obviously benefit from the care that such facilities provide, family members are often profoundly affected by this change.
Because New Mexico nursing home residents are dependent on the care and treatment they receive, it can feel like a major betrayal when those vulnerable people suffer due to neglect or abuse by those entrusted with their well-being. The lawyers at the Albuquerque personal injury firm of Berenson & Associates, PC work with families whose loved ones have been victimized by nursing home neglect and abuse.
Work With A Compassionate Advocate For Your Loved Ones
Uncovering nursing home abuse or neglect can be difficult. The victim may not be able to express himself or herself well enough to communicate their suffering. Additionally, legitimate allegations made by those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease or other types of dementia might be ignored or minimized due to their serious medical conditions.
Neglect or abuse in a nursing home can take many forms, including:
- Administering incorrect medication or incorrect dosage of a prescribed medication
- Failing to prevent a patient from developing pressure ulcers, also known as bedsores
- Using excessive force to restrain an uncooperative patient
- Improperly safeguarding a patient from falling
- Not ensuring sanitary conditions
- Allowing patients with dementia to be unsupervised, causing harm to themselves or others
- Emotional or physical abuse from caretakers
Nursing home abuse victims can suffer a range of physical, mental and emotional injuries at the hands of substandard caregivers. These are just some examples that might apply in your situation.
Fighting for your loved one
To fully understand the impact of nursing home abuse and neglect, and what options might be available to you and your family, contact the trusted attorneys of Berenson & Associates today at 505-227-8315 to schedule a complimentary consultation. You can also email us your contact information.