Spectators and fans of sporting events know that injuries are common for athletes competing at an event. But what happens when a spectator is injured on the property?
Owners and operators of stadiums and sports facilities have a responsibility of making sure that their properties are safe and free from dangerous hazards. If it can be shown that the property owner's negligence led to your injuries, you may be able to pursue compensation through a premises liability claim.
Common accidents that occur at sports stadiums:
- Slip and falls on wet surfaces
- Falls due to broken railings or stairs
- Assaults due to inadequate security
In order to recover compensation, you must be able to show that the property owner should have known about the dangerous condition and failed to take actions to prevent injuries to guests.
Injuries Caused by a Ball or Puck
In scenarios where a fan is hit by a ball, puck, or another sporting object, it may be more difficult to pursue a claim. This is because these scenarios are typically covered in disclaimers when you purchase the tickets. There are exceptions, such as if you were hit by a ball because the netting contained holes or defects. Always consult an attorney if you need clarification.
What To Do After a Stadium Accident
- Immediately after an injury at a sporting event, report the incident to a supervisor or manager and make sure that a report is written. Keep a copy of this report.
- Take pictures of the incident and your injuries.
- Be sure to obtain the names and contact information of witnesses who were present.
- See a doctor and receive medical treatment for your injuries.
- Contact a doctor
Discuss Your Premises Liability Claim at No Cost
If you have suffered an injury at a sports stadium or facility, talk to our Albuquerque premises liability attorneys to find out whether you have a valid claim. Whether you were injured as a spectator at a football game, basketball game, or another athletic outing, we can carefully evaluate the details of your accident and help you seek fair compensation. Drawing from nearly 20 years of legal experience, we are dedicated to providing the highest levels of personalized and skilled guidance to each client.
Schedule your free consultation online or by calling (505) 559-4117.